The straight modern road from Crapstone to Yelverton was constructed after the war along the northern edge of runway 11/28. In this photograph a section of original runway surface can be seen to the south of the road. The flagpole of Yelverton Church can be seen in the trees. During the life of the airfield hazard lights and high visibility boards were attached to the church, although these did not prevent one airplane clipping it in May 1944. Photograph taken August 2001.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 50882 68144