Tapley House, Bishopsteignton

Record Number: 10121 | © Devon County Council
Tapley House, Bishopsteignton, near Teignmouth. The Tapley House, or Tapley Manor as it is sometimes called, is estimated to be built during the Elizabethan era, and is speculated to be the redesign of the eminent architect James Nash. Nash was originally based in Dawlish and his influence can be felt in some of the local architecture in South Devon, but it is his designs of Regency architecture, including the reworking of Buckingham Palace and Marble Arch that he is most famous for. Tapley Manor included a vegetable garden, hidden away behind a red stone wall which runs up Radway Hill. Regrettably, the house was demolished after WWII to make way for new housing. Could it be the site of the present Tapley Gardens cul-de-sac?

Tags

house
garden
Manor
John Nash

Detail

Chapman
Image - Glass Plate
1953
Bishopsteignton