Kelly Mine operated between around 1877 and 1951. It was used to mine and process micaceous haematite, a crumbly ore with a grey sparkle used to make the corrosion resistant paint "battleship grey". Since 1985 the Kelly Mine Preservation Society have been working to restore the workings of the mine. The picture shows the excavated water wheel pit. The wheel would have driven machinery in the dressing room.