This photograph shows the Sisters' Garden at the Devon House of Mercy, an establishment for 'Fallen Women'
Also known as the Devon House of Mercy for Penitent Females, it was established in Bovey Tracey in 1861, as part of the charitable work of Harriet Monsell.It was formally opened in temporary accommodation in 1863.
This building, by Woodyer, included a lofty chapel, and was opened in 1867 for 72 residents.
Now converted to residential accommodation, though retaining the name
Updated on May 17, 2018