A further photograph of the Sisters' Garden at the Devon House of Mercy.
The Devon House of Mercy was an establishment for 'Fallen Women'
Also known as the Devon House of Mercy for Penitent Females, it was established in Bovey Tracey in 1861 as part of the charitable work of Harriet Monsell. It was formally opened in temporary accommodation in 1863
This building, by Woodyer, included a lofty chapel, and was opened in 1867 for 72 residents.
Now converted to residential accommodation, though retaining the name.
This photograph includes an external view of the lofty chapel.