This image shows a working waterwheel possibly Cleave Mill at Sticklepath. Cleave mill was also known as Wilmotts or Curzon mill. This mill was burnt down in 1803 and in 1810 bought by the Pearse family who established a woollen mill on the site. Following a sale in the mid 19th century it became a grist mill. Today it had been converted into living accomodation.
Before the advent of electricity water power was the prime source of energy to run machinery in mills and factories.