A slide of an old photograph of Stover canal in use at Lock 3 near Teignbridge.
The Stover canal was built in the 18th Century, by James Templer of Stover House between 1790 and 1792.
The canal was used to transport clay and other minerals from the Bovey Basin and granite from quarries on Dartmoor to the docks at Teignmouth for nearly 150 years.
It runs for 2 miles from Ventiford Basin near Teigngrace to Jetty Marsh on the outskirts of Newton Abbot. From there, barges would take their loads on to the river Teign to Teignmouth docks, a further 5 miles, where the cargo was transferred to seagoing boats.
There is a Stover canal society committed to preserving and restoring the canal.