Blockhouse at Powder Mills

Record Number: 106702 | © Mr B. LeMessurier
The Plymouth & Dartmoor Gunpowder Company started operating at Powder Mills in 1846, manufacturing @black powder@ for the local mining and quarrying industries. The buildings are of massive granite masonry to withstand the force of accidental explosions. After the invention of dynamite demand for black powder rapidly fell, and the works closed in 1897.

Tags

granite
building
gunpowder
mill

Detail

Le Messurier
Image - Colour Slide
1969
Postbridge