Lew Manor at Lewtrenchard near Lydford was the home of the Rev. Sabine Baring Gould. He lived here from 1881 and constructed the Jacobean style manor from a humbler original building using local craftsmen who he had trained rather than using professional architects or builders.
This image shows the impressive porch.
Baring Gould was an extraordinary eclectic who pursued many interests from archaeology to collecting folk songs. He was a friend and colleague of many of the late Victorian Dartmoor antiquarians.
He would have been acquainted with the Taylor family and died in 1924. Today the Manor serves as a hotel.