After considerable controversy, work commenced on Burrator Reservoir on 9th August 1893. It cost Â£200,000 to build and was formally opened five years later on 21st September 1898.
This photograph, taken on 22/06/1935, shows the track of the Princetown branch of the Great Western Railway in the foreground with the reservoir behind.
In the years before WW2 it was a popular day-trip out from Plymouth.
The Princetown Railway's last day of operation was 3rd March 1956.