13/04/1936 Lew Trenchard is on the river Lew about 8 1/2 miles north of Tavistock. The original church was dedicated to St Petrock but was rebuilt in 1261 and 1520 and rededicated to St Peter. The church is noted for a large and impressive rood screen. The Rev Sabine Baring-Gould a noted historian and collector of folk songs was the rector here from the late 19th century. He actively restored parts of the church. He and his family lived at Lew Trenchard Manor and were friends of the Taylor family. The steps to the left of the gate were for mounting horses. Shirley Taylor is to the right of the gateway.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 45643 86197