Marystow church, or Stowe St Mary. the name is derived from the Saxon meaning 'Holy place of St Mary'. It has a scattered parish on both sides of the Lyd valley, 6 miles N.W. by N. of Tavistock.
The Church has a tower and six bells, originally dating from the 12th century. The tower was restored in 1824 when the five bells were recast into six.