The doorway to Black Tor Blowing House

Record Number: 3004
This photograph is dated 27 December 1887. It shows evidence of the tin streaming industry on Dartmoor. The caption refers to Har Tor, which is nowadays marked on OS maps as Hartor Tors (Higher and Lower). The blowing house is on the bank of the River Plym nearby. The stones in the photograph are called mortar stones. These were used for crushing the tin ore in a stamping mill.

Tags

Tor
tors
blowing house
industry
tin
mining
tin mining
har tor
hart tor
hartor tor
harter tor
higher hartor tor
higher harter tor
lower hartor tor
lower harter tor

Detail

Burnard
Image - Glass Plate
1887
Meavy Valley, Black Tor