The ruins of Week Ford Blowing House

Record Number: 3024 | © The Dartmoor Trust
The photograph shows evidence of the tin mining industry which operated on Dartmoor until around 1939. Blowing houses (sometimes called blowing mills) contained small blast furnaces into which a forced draught of air was blown using waterwheel-powered bellows. Cassiterite (tin oxide) ore was smelted in the blast furnace and cast into ingots using a mould stone.

Tags

Archaeology
Industrial archaeology
tin
tin mining
mining industry
remains
ruins
blowing house
weekford
week ford

Detail

Burnard
Image - Glass Plate
Huccaby