Deep Swincombe Blowing House

Record Number: 3029 | © The Dartmoor Trust
This photograph shows evidence of the tin mining industry which operated on Dartmoor until around 1939. Blowing houses (sometimes called blowing mills) contained small blast furnaces into which a forced draught of air was blown using waterwheel-powered bellows. Cassiterite (tin oxide) ore was smelted in the blast furnace and cast into ingots using a mould stone. A mould stone is shown in the centre foreground of the photograph.

Tags

Archaeology
industrial archaeology
blowing house
tin
tin mining
mining
mould
tin mould
deep swincombe
mould stone

Detail

Burnard
Image - Glass Plate
1887
Hexworthy