Mould stones at Yealm Head Blowing House

Record Number: 3035 | © The Dartmoor Trust
This photograph is dated 28 January 1888. It shows evidence of the tin mining industry which operated on Dartmoor until around 1939. Blowing houses (sometimes called blowing mills) contained small blast furnaces into which a forced draught of air was blown using waterwheel-powered bellows. Cassiterite (tin oxide) ore was smelted in the blast furnace and cast into ingots using the mould stone.

Tags

Mould Stones
mortar stones
Blowing House
industry
tin mining
mining
industrial archeology

Detail

Burnard
Image - Glass Plate
1888
Yealm Head