The photograph is dated 25 February 1888.
The shaft of the cross is set in a large granite socket-stone and both cross and socket are partly embedded in the wall.
It is not known if the cross is still in its original position but the cross appears to have some connection with the parish church which is nearby to the west.
The cross may have marked the route to the church or may possibly have been a preaching station before the church was built.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 54747 63452