Blowing Houses were part of the tin mining industry which operated on Dartmoor until around 1939.
Blowing houses (sometimes called blowing mills) contained small blast furnaces into which a forced draught of air was blown using waterwheel-powered bellows. Cassiterite (tin oxide) ore was smelted in the blast furnace and cast into ingots using a mould stone.
This is a plan of the upper blowing house at Week Ford.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 65401 73426