This photograph is dated 7 March 1888. It shows evidence of the tin mining industry which operated on Dartmoor until around 1939.
The stone in the photograph is called a mortar stone. They were used for crushing the tin ore in a stamping mill.
Many mortar stones are no longer present on the moor as they have been removed and used for other purposes.