This photograph of Longstone or Langstone Manor Farm was taken in January 1935. Longstone was built in 1633 by Walter and Barbara Elford.
It became a ruin as a consequence of the building of the Burrator Reservoir. When the Corporation of Plymouth purchased the entire Burrator watershed in 1916, active farming in the area was banned on grounds of hygiene.
Without useful employment, the moormen could not live on the moor, so they left their homes to find employment elsewhere.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 55720 68365