This photograph shows the bridge at Two Bridges that was constructed shortly after 1772 when a new highway was built from Chagford through the West Dart valley where it forked to Tavistock and Plymouth.
The bridge still exists today but traffic now crosses the West Dart River using the modern bridge on the B3212.
A 1765 map shows the earlier moorland track passing to the north of the current road line and needing two bridges to cross both the Cowsic River and the West Dart River that join north of Two Bridges.
The earlier moorland track had a clapper bridge for crossing the West Dart River at Two Bridges but this was dismantled when the highway bridge was built.
Image - Black and White Print
||Clapper Bridge at Two Bridges
||ROAD BRIDGE, CLAPPER BRIDGE
||Trial pits north-east of Two Bridges
||Feature recorded as a barrow south-east of Two Bridges
||Stone near Two Bridges Road, Princetown
||Prince Hall to south-east of Two Bridges
||Leat running from north of Crockern south to Two Bridges
||Aircraft crash site north of Two Bridges
||AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE
||Hut circle K in settlement south-east of Two Bridges, Blackbrook River