Ruined cottage above Lowry, Burrator

Ruined cottage above Lowry, Burrator
Taken in 1935, this deserted cottage at Lowry is another of the settlements to suffer from the building of the Burrator Reservoir. When the Corporation of Plymouth purchased the reservoir and surrounding area in 1916, they banned all active agriculture to ensure hygienic conditions. Without agricultural employment, the moormen could not make a living, and they left their homes to find work elsewhere.
Record Details
35
1935
Updated on August 17, 2018
SX 52502 69767

Nearby Records