This photograph shows the south porch and south transept or chapel of St John the Baptist - the parish church of Lustleigh. The south porch forms part of the first church built on this site and is dated to about 1250. The south transept was added in the early 14th century by William le Prouse. William le Prouse was lord of the manor and built the south transept as a mortuary chapel, hoping that when he died he would be buried there. Sir William did not die in Lustleigh, however, and instead was buried at his other manor, Holbeton. It was not until 13 years later that his remains were brought to Lustleigh and buried in the chapel.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 78400 81363