Taken in February 1959 of Nun's or also known as Siwards Cross near Nun's Cross Farm, on the track from Princetown.
This cross stands at the junction of two main tracks across the moor, the Abbots? way and the Monks? Path. Both tracks link the Abbey at Buckfast with those at Tavistock and Buckland. It was also named as a boundary mark of the King?s Forest in the perambulation of 1240.
The ancient name of Siward?s Cross was quoted in the 1240 perambulation of the Forest of Dartmoor documents. It is thought to have derived from Earl Siward, a Saxon, who owned the lands around Tavistock prior to the Norman Conquest. The word ?Siward? is engraved across the arms of the eastern face of the cross.
The inscription ?BOC LOND? appears on the Western face of the cross, relating to the ancient spelling of ?Buckland?. It is not known why the cross has its alternative name of Nuns? Cross.
Image - Black and White Negative
Nuns Cross Farm
||Track from Burracombe Gate to the Whiteworks road near Nun's Cross
||Cist 1 kilometre east of Nun's Cross Farm
||Openworks to the south-east of Nun's Cross Ford
||Cross north-east of Nun's Cross
||Hut circle 810m west of Siward's or Nun's Cross
||Tin pits south of Nun's Cross Farm
||Trial pits north-west of Nun's Cross Farm
||Nun's Cross Farmstead, Dartmoor Forest