Lydford Castle, dungeon door

This picture was taken in 1913 of the ruins of Lydford Castle. Lydford castle was built in 1195 with the great square structure standing near the church. Forest courts for Dartmoor were held here and it became the infamous Stannary prison. The forest of Dartmoor, an area of 56,000 acres, came within the parish of Lydford until 1987.
Record Details
da326
1913
Updated on January 10, 2015
Castle
ruin
stone
stannary
SX 50537 84943