Previous

untitled laughterhole

Next

South Tawton Bellringers

Shovel Down Longstone

There are several standing stones on the moor called the Long Stone. This stone on Shovel Down is considered to have been erected in the Bronze Age (1500 - 800 BC) and may be associated with the adjacent double stone row. The stone was recorded in the perambulation of 1240. During medieval, or later, times the stone has been inscribed with DC for 'Duchy of Cornwall', GP for 'Gidleigh Parish' and C for 'Chagford' on three of its four sides.
Record Details
3576
1889
Updated on April 24, 2019
SX 66000 85599

Nearby Records