On the Road to Babaney




Pizwell is an ancient tenement. The cluster of buildings pictured consisted of three tenements, all were thatched when Crossings wrote his Guide. The Rev. Hingeston -Randolph, in his study of the Registers of Walter Bronescombe discovered the earliest know reference to Pizwell dating from 1260, forty years later, in 1300 the name was spelt 'Pishull'. In 1702 all three tenements were still operating as farms, the tenants being Mary Cock, John Eales, Pancras Horsham and Barbary Cook. More information a recent photograph can be found in High Dartmoor, by Eric Hemery.
Record Details
Updated on April 23, 2019